Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, to Me!

I turned 34 this year and it was great! Rick said it was a week long birthday celebration, but that is highly exaggerated! It did feel good to have people send greetings throughout the week!

Rick asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said nothing. #1,we are trying to save $ to take our family to Orlando in June, and #2 I really didn't need anything! And then IT happened! I gave in to my weakness for blog surfing and while Rick and the kids were gone to rollerblade I came across a photo of a kids room redo, and I got excited! When Rick came home I told him that I wanted him to pay for the supplies to redo the little boys room, and "willingly" move the furniture and help when needed!

That next morning, on my birthday we were picking out paint, primer, trim, etc. I knew the hours of errands to get everything was killing Rick but he NEVER showed it or complained (that was the best gift of all!)! After getting everything he took me to Red Robin for lunch!

It took 2 gallons of primer to cover the ugly mess of "burnt pea soup", "sludge", I have many nicknames for the color I mistakenly painted the boys room 2 yrs ago! (on a side note, I think the US Army needs to ditch their green attire, that's all I think of when I look at that color...it's DEPRESSING!)



I trimmed, and masked and then after 1.5 days I was ready to paint!!!! I took Friday night off, and bought Megamind and pizza for the kids. They had friends over and we enjoyed a nice family night! It took all day Saturday to finish, and I couldn't have done it without the kids helping pick up the slack, Rick for doing all the stuff I couldn't and Kirk for delivering his dewalt precision mitre saw!









It makes the room seem to have twice as much light, and it just feels cheerful! The boys love it, and of course, that meant I had to redo the toy bucket labels in a better color, and they love their wacky alphabet wall! The old room had a border of the alphabet and numbers along the top! I paid a lot for that vinyl and so I did NOT want to throw it out! So, I carefully took it down and stored it on wax paper! It worked perfectly! Yah for recycling!

Anyway, it was a great birthday and I feel so blessed to have a husband who loves me enough to make all my dreams, wishes and honey-do's come true!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love the room! Happy Birthday to you! (PS, If you ever get the urge to re-finish one of MY rooms for YOUR birthday, don't fight it, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, and the ABC's look so great! There's a real talent to making something look wacky/random. You are a great designer...you got skilz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! You did a great job, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete