Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Sewing Example

Having my mom here was so much fun. I spent weeks checking out blogs and crafting sewing ideas and bookmarked them for later. After getting the house clean, and working on family history, we were able to work on sewing things!

I have so many friends who have made things that I wanted to copy! My friend Erin gave Parker his first crayon roll, and they are so cute and easy and cheap and personable! So I knew we were going to make those, and we couldn't just make them for my kids, we had to make them for the nieces and nephews...problem is on my side alone, there are 40! So, we decided to make 1 of for each family! A lot easier on my moms sewing hands and the budget! We made a lot of regular rolls for 16 crayons, and then we made 1 for a Jumbo set of crayons. And then, this photo is what it looks like when I try to do something on my own! First thing Rick said when he saw it, "maybe you should leave the sewing to your mother!" so yah, my 2 yr old will be getting the mess up!



My sister in law, Shauna (mymixofsix.blogspot.com) made these cute car mats for her family and so we made some with some added touches from my mom. We decided to sew a piece of elastic to hold the cars, and picked different fabrics. WE rummaged through our cars bucket to find some old micro machines! They work perfect! We had to order some used ones on eBay, because you can't find them anywhere! I wish we could have given everyone a mat with the mini cars, but oh well, when the cheap $ store cars break their parents can order a new, better, smaller one! So here are the mats we did make!




(notice in the upper left corner the mini ice cream truck!)

Last but not least, was these cute note pads that I found the day before my mom left! They sell them in a 3 pack at my very favorite store, Target! They are back in toys by the card games! They have 3 notepads and they are $2.99. You can choose from Tic Tac Toe, Hangman, or Dots! I planned on just stitching 1 pocket for the pad and 1 for the pencil, with no cover and call it good, but before I even had a thought about how to do it, my mom and sewed this! My boys came home just as she was making them and they each wanted their own! So, these are the 3 she made, using just scraps from my sewing box!








I don't have photos, but my mom also made a baby quilt for our cousins firstborn and she sewed bean bags with Ashton. Carter got sewing lessons and they started making a quilt...now it is my job to help him finish! I will post those photos whenever I get it done!


I can't say thanks enough to my mom for all the help, the late nights and all the fun we had! You know I love you! You are always welcome, sewing machine, or not!

4 comments:

  1. i love the notepads! i'm going to have to copy those too! haven't been to target in ages! now i have a purpose...gonna have to get down there! love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha too funny! love having to use my son's computer :) no, my son is not THAT excited about a notebook or any other crafty things right now :_)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    You are so cute and thoughtful!! Thank you for making a car mat and crayon roll for my kiddos!! It entertained Thomas at my FRG meeting. And it is perfect for Sacrament meeting!! Your mom is so talented when it comes to sewing and crafts. She amazes me!!
    Thanks,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, super cute and crafty. i think even your "mess up" crayon roll is great. and i love the car mats- where did you find the fabric?

    ReplyDelete