Friday, January 21, 2011

"I look Sexy"

I cut all my boys hair, the 4 smaller ones and the big one! I have learned through trial and error and have not done too bad. Problem is over the years the older boys want a more stylish, trendy hairstyle! I am NOT good with change and by the time I figure out how to cut it so it is clean enough for the white collar check and for my likings, they will be in their 20's!

Ashton went to a hairstylist the beginning of school and got highlights and a "cool" hairstyle. She does a great job, but I'm frugal, and can't be paying for 1 kid to have the look of his dreams and make the others suffer with cookie cutter hairstyles.

Haircutting time came again (about every 6 weeks) and as I lined them up I decided I would try to give Ashton an out of the box "do" from THIS hairdresser. I spent almost an hour doing his...afterwards he was so thankful and said, "I love it, I look Sexy!"

I knew what he meant, he was happy, felt confident, on a 8th grade level..hip, but that phrase, the word, "sexy" that is said to mean so many different things, bugged me! I explained to him, that isn't a word we should use.

I got thinking of how many ways I used that word as a teen, as a newlywed, sometimes even now...and after much reflection, realized the impact society had on the frequency of that word, and how the meaning morphed and changed over the years...but for me and in this house, I realized that word really was a spicy way of saying "Confident".

As a mom, I don't want to hear my 13 yr old say "I look sexy", but what I DO want is to have a boy who for 1 day, 1 week, even a month, feels confident. Sometimes a fresh look, new outfit, or "change" can give us that confidence.

So, I'm thankful that my hairdo passed the test and that he was happy with it! Here are some pics. For those who know Ashton, he has mousy brown hair. I had a box of haircolor in the cabinet and he was up for change...glad it all worked out.





2 comments: