Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Clearance Dilemna



What is it about this little thing that makes my mind go to a crazy, excited, place of euphoria? Rick thinks it means I have just been charged the actual VALUE of the item, but to me it means SO much more! So my other must go to store is what my little ones refer to as the "red" store! All you moms out there know that there is a "blue" store and a "red" store. My favorite place to get good quality stuff for a great deal is Target. They are organized, clean, and the clearance prices are marked on EACH individual item!

After every holiday I will hit their seasonal aisles for 50% off, then track it (more like stalk it) until it goes 75% off. Then I begin the clearance phone tree, where I call everyone I know and love and let them know it hit 75%.

In between holidays it is always a hit or miss. The different depts have their sections on the back endcaps with items clearanced either 30-50-75. So for weeks I have been "tracking" two things I "want" but don't need! (At 50% I want it, and 75% I NEED it!)

My must haves this month were the kids rubber garden boots and the "old style" toy story toys! (Making room for Toy Story 3 stuff) In the last week I have stopped by to check three times to see if they went lower. (The goal is to actually get OUT of the store on these "drive bys" without actually buying anything!)

Today I hit big! (Yes ladies, this is what you have to look forward to as a stay at home mom who lives within a budget!) Both things went 75%, so Hunter is now the proud owner of 2 pair of boots, (1 for now, another for later) and every different toy story toy they marked down. Some of the toys will be stashed for the man in red, and others will be used for special treats and occasions. All in all I spent $38 and left with an MSRP value of $152!

I don't consider myself a shopaholic. More like a cash paying, budget sticking, "Save-aholic" who loves getting a great deal on GREAT stuff!

5 comments:

  1. I love it when you find good deals!!! You are such a good bargain shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are 75% off of junk is still junk. I can honestly say that when I went for a great bargain it was not a bargain. That is why the dollar store is so great. You have only spent a buck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rachel for the Target tip!! Now I am ready for Thomas' birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss our clearance trips to Target!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 75% is childplay- did you know that (at least for holiday?) target goes 90% off???!!! so great! this past year i bought: a tree skirt for 40 cents, a pack of really nice christmas cards for 50 cents, a really nice basket for one dollar (origanally marked 19.99!!!) i'm also really big on buying clearance sheet sets- the other day i bought a cal king really beautiful sheet set for ten bucks!!! these ones i use for our bed but i have bought several in the past on clearance that i use to back quilts- much cheaper than buying fabric by the yard! i looove target. thanks for sharing your tips! ;)

    ReplyDelete